Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Urbanscapes 2013: The Sun Was High, So Was I.

If I had to describe myself in three terms it would be, 1. I make too many stupid and awkward jokes on a daily basis, 2. I am always either overdressed or underdressed. Mostly overdressed. There is no in between and 3. I am a fucking lazy blogger but I love it anyways.

But when I came home that Sunday 24th October night, I knew I had to start writing. Urbanscapes 2013 had left a bigger impact on myself than I had imagined. As I was laying on what should have been grass but was covered by Sabrina's savior florescent pink blanket, the only thing I had in mind was "It's a good time to be alive." I will never forget. I have vowed to myself that whenever convenient, never miss Urbanscapes in the following years.

Amazing would be an understatement. There was a lot of walking involved. Back and forth from stages to the hill where we had laid out a medium sized blanket and everyone, precisely eight of us, all laying down glancing at the sunset during dawn. I swing my head left to right, left to right, singing along to quality music being played behind me. Life is great, I thought. I knew at that instant I wouldn't rather be doing anything else in the world. For a moment, everyone fell into a comfortable silence. Sinking in the surrounding of boldly dressed people smoking cigarettes, exchanging words and sleeping on grass. I can get used to this kind of view. And then suddenly someone broke the silence, "I wish everyday was like this." I wish it was, too.

The whole thing was just too surreal to me. There I was soaked, enthusiastic and happy dancing my heart out to Last Dinosaurs performing Zoom live and then later that day, butt on grass having a fast food feast. Nothing could have possibly made it any better. Nothing.

There were nearly fourty performances all together but I was only looking forward to one, Franz Ferdinand. The most magical thing about concerts is when the audiences start singing back. And then there I was, surrounded by the people who were just as passionate as me. I'm glad I couldn't see how I looked like at the time because I would have probably cringe. I didn't care. I didn't care that I looked like a crime scene. Or that I felt micro insect legs crawling up my green silk shorts. Or that the muddy ground was slowly sinking in my black jelly sandals. I was a few feet away from a stage. And on that stage, was one of the bands I have adored since I was eleven performing. I remembered in the middle of everything, I turned behind me and saw my best friend pouring herself out. And I gave her a hug. I caught a glace of the night sky and tilted my head up for awhile, shutting my eyes as I try to let everything sink in. I smiled. The feeling was indescribable. But it was a bloody good feeling. Who needed drugs when you get to see Franz fucking Ferdinand live? And the Last Dinosaurs left me with a pretty decent amount of excitement too, I guess.

The people were nice. Most of them, at least. I was fairly impressed with the fashion however, some had left me cringing and questioning myself. I met all kinds of people. High, drunk, sober, a really friendly guy in a bandanna, a bisexual twenty-one year old Singaporean, a mean guard.

At the end of the second day we left with heavy hearts but ones that are filled with new memories. You look forward to going back when your legs fells like as if they are not there anymore. Exhausted but content. Which was what I was feeling. As we walked towards the parking lot where a car had been expected, being the spontaneous maniac that she is, Nikki had decided she would say "BYE" to everyone we came across with. And being the spontaneous maniac best friend that I am, I couldn't resist but to tag along. Responses were as expected, awesome. I love people.

Here is an appreciation dedicated for the massive amount of laughter shared, the pictures taken together, the hundreds of picnic breaks we had, the food sharing, the insane dancing, the slow dancing, the people watching, the funny conversations, and for making my first Urbanscapes experience worthwhile. Thank you Nikki, Hakim, Aizat, Aiman, Sabrina, Arief, Bazli and Haziq for that. And those aren't even the half of it.

I remember the days perfectly well and I hope it remains even if it's been twenty years. Although I highly doubt I would forget such thing. Visit my instagram for pictures. @elissarosli.

No comments:

Post a Comment